Sunday, January 23, 2011

Belize's Hidden Treasure, the Blue Hole

Has anyone ever heard of or seen the Blue Hole that’s located 46 miles off the coast of Belize? If not you should definitely search Google to see how stunningly beautiful it is. I first found out about the Blue Hole from a forward email that I received a few years ago, and ever since I’ve been fascinated with this magnificent creation. Upon doing research I’ve found that Jacques Cousteau is responsible for making the Blue Hole famous in 1972. Him and his crew were the first explorers of the Blue Hole, he also created a route that is still used by dive boats today.

Today the Blue Hole is explored on a daily basis by tourists who visit Belize. There are options of snorkeling, or diving. Personally I would opt for the snorkeling option and admire the beauty of this creation from above. The Blue Hole is about 1000 feet in diameter, over 450 feet deep, and is surrounded by coral reefs. As one may imagine individuals travel from far to explore the beauty of this masterpiece, which even includes Matt Lauer from the Today’s Show.  I’m attaching photos of the Blue Hole and a YouTube link of Lauer’s visit which has footage of his dive. I hope one day to visit Belize and create footage of my own adventures of the great Blue Hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment