Friday, April 22, 2011

St. Eustatius

This blog post has the most meaning to me of all that I’ve done in the past. It was my main reason for creating such a blog. I have a very strong accent and because of this I am frequently asked where I’m from. I am from St. Eustatius, but we locals warmly call our little piece of heaven on earth, Statia.  I have taken an excerpt from the tourism website (www.statiatourism.com which offers endless valuable information about Statia) that gave the following description of Statia. “Just close your eyes and imagine the Caribbean about 25 or 30 years ago. Clean, unhurried and unspoiled. Pristine living, practically no crime, reefs teeming with fish. Gentle trade winds. People as warm and genuinely friendly as ever. Now open your eyes and discover the beautiful little island of St. Eustatius, affectionately known as Statia.”

Statia is located about 150 miles south of Puerto Rico, and is the neighboring island of St. Maarten, just 32 miles away. Getting to Statia one has to first fly into St. Maarten then take a 17 minute flight on a 19 “seater” plane called Winair. 

I wish everyone could experience a few days on this tiny sized paradise of just11 square miles, knowing that’s not logical click HERE for virtual tours from just about every point around the island. The people of Statia are extremely friendly and inviting. Having a population of under 4,000 you can just imagine the intimate relationship that we locals share. It’s an amazing feeling whenever I'm home for a visit and everyone welcomes me back. Coming from Florida it’s like going back in time, to when the world stood still at an unhurried pace and everyone truly cares about your well being.

As for things to do while in Statia there is plenty if you are a nature lover. Statia is the ideal spot for a peaceful getaway. Our island has been noted to have some of the world’s most beautiful diving sites. Our crystal clear blue waters lavished with volcanic black sand promises a diving experience like no other Caribbean island can offer. There are many shipwrecks to explore and endless exotic coral reefs to see. Apart from diving, there is hiking. There are many trails that lead to spectacular views that are sure to take your breath away. A very popular hiking trail is the one that leads to the Quill, an extinct volcano, of which you can go down inside to explore the crater. Once reaching the peak of the Quill the view is one to die for. You’ll overlook the entire island, and from personal experience I’ll be the first to tell you that the view is WELL worth the hike!

Statia is also very rich in history. Statia was actually the first to recognize the United States as a nation. Due to our discovery we received a plaque from President Roosevelt that is proudly displayed in Fort Oranje. There are many ruins, built by the labor of many slaves, which still stands tall today. A day spent exploring our ruins and visiting our local museum will leave you feeling quite knowledgeable.

Statia has earned the nickname “The Golden Rock”. It has been said that once you visit Statia, no matter how near or far you are, you’ll always have a place in your heart for the Golden Rock. I stand true to this saying as not one day goes by without me longing for a trip home to my hidden treasure of the Caribbean, St. Eustatius. I hope I have inspired you to visit Statia one day and I’m quite certain that you’ll enjoy my pictures! 



Sorry seems as if I can't rotate this pic or the 1 below... 




Imagine yourself enjoying one of our daily sunsets :)

Local Museum 

Our Tiny Airport Runway 

Entrance to Fort Oranje 


Super Awesome Aerial Shot from above

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I was wondering if I could use one of your photos (the view towards the Quill with three branches). Also, would you happen to have this image in higher resolution? I apologize that I write about it in your comments, but I couldn't find any other way to contact you. I will really appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      You can feel free to go ahead and use my pictures. Unfortunately, I do not have the picture in a higher resolution. Have a great day :)

      Delete